Becoming an effective team member is the greatest way to increase teacher proficiency and student achievement. By working on our ourselves, we uplift the value of the entire group. This then increases the impact we all have on students in the classroom.
Requiring educators to work together effectively ensures the level of instruction occurring across a given grade level in a school building is of similar caliber. Otherwise, a disparity is created that negatively affects students all depending upon which classroom they are placed in.
An Educator’s Perspective
“I feel like it’s actually a serious problem. Because teaching used to be such an individual sport and now its a team sport. People are not trained to play as a team and so I feel like I’ve seen so many people not thrive because they do not know how to work together effectively as a team.Their training guided them to be so individualistic. Use your time and teammates more effectively. And your job will be easier.” – Kristen Moore (Educator and creator of Nashville Littles)
Effective Team Member Habits
There are daily habits educators can develop so that they can remain an effective team member.
- Contribute – Share your ideas, ask clarifying questions and showcase your talent
- Listen – Digest what others are saying and if you disagree, share your rationale respectfully
- Validate – Acknowledge good ideas and contributions by other team members
- Celebrate – Take time to celebrate forward momentum in reaching goals or completing tasks
Become An Effective Team
A team’s strength is an ongoing muscle to be exercised. The dynamics of a team change as new members are added, previous members transition out and members themselves grow in their own learning. As a result, calibrating the effectiveness of a team should be an ongoing focus and task.
- Create Goals – Decide what you want to accomplish as a team
- Develop Norms – Write a list of expected behaviors as team members
- Be lifelong learners – Grow your skillset on an ongoing basis
- Hold each other accountable – Require each other to hold up their end of the bargain for the greater good of the group
If you feel you could benefit from personalized support with team dynamics and collaboration, book a team call. We’ll uncover road blocks and create a roadmap towards success!
Go Be Great!
How do you plan on becoming a more effective team member?