Did you know that you could manage and lead at the same time? You don’t have to be one or the other, in any one role or title. What you do have to do is ADJUST. You have to be flexible and adjust the way you lead and manage, depending on what those that you lead need at that time. Tune in to hear actionable steps to hone your management and leadership skills.
- When do you manage and when do you decide to be the CEO and the visionary?
- You can be a manager and leader at the same time without changing your job, role or title.
- If we only ever lead in one way we deflate the talent that is within our teachers.
- Managing people is necessary when they are new to something or low preforming. It can also be debilitating if when people are creative or come in with high expectations and a good foundation.
- You need both management and leadership to be successful. You need balance.
- When you are leading some people don’t want any bumpers (like a bowling alley) and some people absolutely do want bumpers. You have to decide who you are leading.
- Set your processes for supporting teachers. Have goal setting meetings. Work one on one and ADJUST as you go.
- Flexibility and how we show up to serve people demonstrates our strengths as leaders.
- Categorize the people you lead. Who of those people needs more management verse a hands off coaching style.
- Always evaluate your coaching style effectiveness. How can you model instead of tell? How can you push yourself to do more of what your teachers need vs what you were taught?
- If you know what you need as a learner, don’t be afraid to tell those that lead you.
Links Mentioned in the Episode
Join the Simply Coaching Retreat
- If you support and lead teachers + are EXHAUSTED, this virtual retreat is for you!
- Simply Coaching Retreat
Join the Always A Lesson Newsletter
- Join here and grab a freebie!
Connect with Gretchen
- Email: email@example.com
- Blog: Always A Lesson
- Facebook: Always A Lesson
- Twitter: @gschultek
- Instagram: Always.A.Lesson
- Linkedin: Gretchen Schultek Bridgers
- Book: Elementary EDUC 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in College
Leave a Rating and Review:
This helps my show remain active in order to continue to help other educators remain empowered in a career that has a long lasting effect on our future.
- Search for my show in iTunes or Stitcher.
- Click on ‘Ratings and Reviews.’
- Under ‘Customer Reviews,’ click on “Write a Review.”
- Sign in with your iTunes or Stitcher log-in info
- Leave a Rating: Tap the greyed out stars (5 being the best)
- Leave a Review: Type in a Title and Description of your thoughts on my podcast
- Click ‘Send’