Tune in and be empowered by Rebekah Shoaf. Rebekah shares all about her experiences in education and the valuable lessons she has learned along the way. Rebekah shares about burnout, the different types of burnout and the best way to avoid it. This episode will truly reignite your passion so be sure to tune in today!
*All quotables are from the interviewee
Having a burn out is really a sense of having lost your purpose, your power, and your passion.
Every teacher has the potential to be a leader.
As an educator, stay connected to who you are as a learner and find the things that excite you and drive you and keep you connected to what you teach.
Rebekah Shoaf is an author, educational consultant, and social entrepreneur. In addition to being the founder and CEO of the Bronx-based bookstore-without-walls Boogie Down Books and What If Schools, Rebekah’s first book, Educating with Passion and Purpose: Keep the Fire Going without Burning Out, was published in 2023 by Jossey-Bass. Rebekah has been an educator for more than two decades as a high school English teacher, founding faculty member, teacher leader, university instructor, and instructional and teacher leadership coach with the New York City Department of Education. She currently works with schools, districts, and other organizations across the country to promote transformative, innovative, learner-centered practices that advance educational justice. A Miami native, Rebekah graduated magna cum laude from Harvard College and is a culinary school alum, a marathon runner, the owner of a pink Vespa, and everyone’s favorite aunt. Learn more about her at rebekahshoaf.com.
Resources Mentioned by Alissa:
- Book by Rebekah: Educating with Passion and Purpose: Keep the Fire Going without Burning Out
- Website: www.rebekahshoaf.com
Connect with Alissa:
Join the Always A Lesson Newsletter
- Join here and grab a freebie!
Connect with Gretchen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog: Always A Lesson
- Facebook: Always A Lesson
- Twitter: @gschultek
- Instagram: Always.A.Lesson
- Linkedin: Gretchen Schultek Bridgers
- Book: Elementary EDUC 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in College
Leave a Rating and Review:
This helps my show remain active in order to continue to help other educators remain empowered in a career that has a long-lasting effect on our future.
- Search for my show on iTunes or Stitcher.
- Click on ‘Ratings and Reviews.’
- Under ‘Customer Reviews,’ click on “Write a Review.”
- Sign in with your iTunes or Stitcher log-in info
- Leave a Rating: Tap the greyed out stars (5 being the best)
- Leave a Review: Type in a Title and Description of your thoughts on my podcast
- Click ‘Send’