Craig Randall is the author of Trust-Based Observations. His experience as a counselor, coach, teacher, and principal at schools in the US and overseas led him to develop and then write, Trust-Based Observations, a model of observation and evaluation focused on building trusting relationships that spark teacher risk-taking and innovation, and result in teaching and learning growth. Currently, Craig consults and trains schools on the model. Tune in to hear this bonus edition episode with Craig Randall!
- What were you doing to help students learn? If you had to do it again, what would you do differently?
- By asking teachers about their teaching rather than telling them what to do you start the road to trust based observations.
- When you ask your opinion of their own teaching, you give them control and they are more willing to try and take risk.
- The teachers that are the most amazing teachers have a differentiated relentlessness for each student they teach.
- Never loose the feeling of vulnerability of being observed whether you know its coming or not, and maintain empathy forever for teachers who are working in environment where you never know what’s going to happen.
- As you move into teacher leadership sometimes we think “My way is THE way,” be open to multiple ways to be successful.
- There is a talent within the building but you have to be willing to look at it from a different perspective.
- Teachers are much more willing to grow their practice when you ask teachers about their practice, see them frequently enough where you know their practice, and sharing their strengths.
- Right now observations happen to us, trust based observations allow growth to happen with us.
- Teachers are willing to show up as their best when principals are consistent. This promotes risk taking and everyone continuing to do their best.
Join the Simply Coaching Retreat
- If you support and lead teachers, this virtual retreat is for you! March 19-21st, 2021!
- Simply Coaching Retreat
Join the Always A Lesson Newsletter
- Join here and grab a freebie!
Connect with Gretchen
- Email: email@example.com
- Blog: Always A Lesson
- Facebook: Always A Lesson
- Twitter: @gschultek
- Instagram: Always.A.Lesson
- Linkedin: Gretchen Schultek Bridgers
- Book: Elementary EDUC 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in College
Connect with Craig
- Twitter: @TrustbasedCraig
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.trustbased.com
- Book: Trust Based Observations
Leave a Rating and Review:
This helps my show remain active in order to continue to help other educators remain empowered in a career that has a long lasting effect on our future.
- Search for my show in iTunes or Stitcher.
- Click on ‘Ratings and Reviews.’
- Under ‘Customer Reviews,’ click on “Write a Review.”
- Sign in with your iTunes or Stitcher log-in info
- Leave a Rating: Tap the greyed out stars (5 being the best)
- Leave a Review: Type in a Title and Description of your thoughts on my podcast
- Click ‘Send’