We have lost so many great teachers in our profession and we are losing more each day. Teacher mentorship can help us save more of our elite educators but we have to get a better support system first. Mentorship in education has stigma of underperformance. We have to change our programs so that our structure is an effective support system to our teachers until their last day on the job, not just a program for beginning teachers. All teachers need a growth program throughout the entirety of their career. Tune in to hear more about the future of mentorship in education.
- Mentorship can save our best teachers.
- The best of the best athletes have mentorship, they have coaching until their last day on the job. Educators don’t view mentorship as a way to continue growing. We look at is as an underperformance.
- The culture and structure of mentorship has to be changed to a more effective model. Then we have to change the stigma.
- The goal of the meeting, awareness of events, relationship building, action steps, follow up and follow through is an actionable system to put into place.
- Style, System and Structure are the 3 S’s of a mentorship program.
- What makes mentorship effective? Do you have a plan? Is there an accountability system? What are the expectations of the partnership? Are you consistent?
- What makes a mentor effective? Have you walked the road before? Ask questions, don’t make assumptions. Partner with them and use their strengths.
- You have to envision people as their future selves and help them get to their future in a way that is natural to them.
- Evaluate your program. What do you want to keep and what do you want to kick?
- Actionable steps over perfection, get started and execute. Tweak and repeat.
- Let’s not lose any more good teachers because they haven’t become great YET.
Links Mentioned in the Episode
- Grab your ticket to the PD coaching summit on Dec 28th here.
- Join the Teacher Leader Mastermind Spring Cohort
- Instructional Coaching Yearlong Comprehensive Guide (Editable & Growing Bundle)
- Teacher Mentor Kit for Mentor Teachers (Editable)
Join the Always A Lesson Newsletter
- Join here and grab a freebie!
Connect with Gretchen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog: Always A Lesson
- Facebook: Always A Lesson
- Twitter: @gschultek
- Instagram: Always.A.Lesson
- Linkedin: Gretchen Schultek Bridgers
- Book: Elementary EDUC 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in College
- Coaching Summit for Teacher Leaders: https://www.sctacademy.com/a/19590/oqFud8nN
- Stay tuned for information on the Teacher Leader Mastermind!
Leave a Rating and Review:
This helps my show remain active in order to continue to help other educators remain empowered in a career that has a long lasting effect on our future.
- Search for my show in iTunes or Stitcher.
- Click on ‘Ratings and Reviews.’
- Under ‘Customer Reviews,’ click on “Write a Review.”
- Sign in with your iTunes or Stitcher log-in info
- Leave a Rating: Tap the greyed out stars (5 being the best)
- Leave a Review: Type in a Title and Description of your thoughts on my podcast
- Click ‘Send’