Dede Faltot Rittman graduated from Edinboro University in 1974 with a bachelor’s degree in secondary English and attended the University of Pittsburgh for post-graduate credits. After two years at Penn Hills, she began teaching English and Theater in the North Allegheny School District, a position she held for thirty-five years. For thirty-two of those years, Dede worked with underachieving students and those with special needs.
Known as “the Bunny Teacher,” Dede affectionately called her students her “bunnies,” and one year for her birthday, two of her English classes bought her a real rabbit, Binky Rittman. Dede used bunny stamps and stickers for rewards and incentives, and when students were at home sick and requested homework, Dede wrote each one a personal note, adding a bunny stamp and a lollipop!
An avid golfer, Dede coached both Varsity Girls and Varsity Boys Golf at North Allegheny.
Dede always thought she would teach for forty years, but when her husband and best friend, Scott, was diagnosed with stage-four colon cancer in December 2009, she retired to care for him in the final stages of his illness. Scott died in 2012.
After retiring, Dede began her own company, Rittman Publishing, LLC, which places an emphasis on teaching the three C’s: Confidence, Communication, and Creativity, whether working with student teachers, special needs students in theater, or those who need one-on-one tutoring. She authored ‘Student Teaching- The Inside Scoop from a Master Teacher’ and ‘Grady Gets Glasses,’ her first children’s book.
- The best thing that ever happened was inclusion.
- Teachers set the example.
- Empathy can be taught.
- Devotion is really important.
- Sometimes we don’t want to face what’s going on in our lives and we blame it on our jobs.
- The more I gave of myself, the more rewards I received.
- Teacher leaders, your attitude will set the tone for the school climate.
- No one was ever late to my class because they felt safe and loved.
Connect with Dede
- Book for Teachers- https://www.wordassociation.com/selfhelp%20book%20page/studentteaching.html
- Book for Children- gradygetsglasses.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/rittmanrules
- Twitter: @dederittman
- Linkedin: Dede Faltot Rittman
- Instagram: dede_rittman
- Google+: Dede Rittman
- Tumblr: The Bunny Teacher
Dede’s Stamp of Approval
Connect with Gretchen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog: Always A Lesson
- Facebook: Always A Lesson
- Twitter: @gschultek
- Instagram: Always.A.Lesson
- Linkedin: Gretchen Schultek Bridgers
- Google+: Gretchen Schultek Bridgers
- Book: Elementary EDUC 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in College
Leave a Rating and Review:
This helps my show remain active in order to continue to help other educators remain empowered in a career that has a long lasting effect on our future.
Search for my show in iTunes or Stitcher.
Click on ‘Ratings and Reviews.’
Under ‘Customer Reviews,’ click on “Write a Review.”
Sign in with your iTunes or Stitcher log-in info
Leave a Rating: Tap the greyed out stars (5 being the best)
Leave a Review: Type in a Title and Description of your thoughts on my podcast